Job DescriptionYour opportunity
The Patent Attorney is responsible for managing all patent prosecution matters within TomTom. In addition, since the majority of patent prosecution is handled in-house, the job also entails a significant amount of direct patent prosecution work.
Your main tasks will be:
* Management of TomTom’s global patent and design portfolios. Ensuring that all prosecution matters relevant to the portfolios are dealt with by the relevant due dates.
* Prosecution of TomTom’s European patent portfolio. This includes preparing or approving all substantive responses relating to TomTom’s European patents and patent applications.
* Instructing and managing all of TomTom’s outside counsel in patent prosecution matters. Providing instructions for foreign counsel to respond to official communications.
* Maintaining of an overview of TomTom’s patent portfolio for prosecution and litigation purposes.
* Preparing draft official responses in respect of US applications, for sign off by a US attorney.
* Representing TomTom at the EPO. Dealing with any matters that require direct representation at the EPO offices, such as oral proceedings before the Examining or Opposition divisions.
* Ensuring that patent administrators are suitably instructed and overseeing their work.
* Training one European trainee attorney and one US agent. Ensuring that their work is correct and suitable for filing with the relevant patent offices.
* Generating a budget prediction. Predicting the spending that will be incurred by the department in relation to patent and design prosecution.
* Training patent administrators via tutoring for the CIPA formalities course.
* Speaking at external conferences on behalf of TomTom.
* Qualified European Patent Attorney specialising in electronics or computer-related technology.
* One or more years of post-qualification experience.
* Ideally a Chartered Patent Attorney (UK)
* Experience of global patent prosecution required, particularly US patent prosecution.
* University degree in science or engineering.
The IP Creation Department is responsible for the protection of TomTom products and services against unauthorized copying by third parties. By obtaining and enforcing intellectual property rights, such as patents and trademarks, TomTom can prevent the competition from reproducing our unique solutions. The IP Creation Department is also responsible for fighting counterfeit goods and for safeguarding the company's single most valuable asset, the TomTom brand.
Founded in 1991, TomTom is the world’s leading supplier of location and navigation products and services focused on providing all drivers with the world’s best navigation experience. Headquartered in Amsterdam, TomTom has 3,500 employees and sells its products in over 40 countries.
Our products include portable navigation devices, in-dash infotainment systems, fleet management solutions, maps and real-time services, including the award winning HD Traffic.
Our working environment is an innovative, fun and dynamic one, full of agile; relentlessly customer focused self starters and entrepreneurs.
Our core values; open spirit, passion for results, innovative thinking and customer driven remain at the roots of how we work and we cherish our pioneering spirit.