Monday, 25 November 2013
VACANCY: Associate Director Patents (Europe) in Leiden (Netherlands)
In this role you will be working in a small team, advising Astellas in Europe in all patent-related matters, including patent litigation, assessment freedom-to-operate situation, due diligence, business development, parallel import, product patent situation, product exclusivity matters and life cycle management. The team is responsible for managing patent litigation, for instructing external local counsel (Astellas Europe cases) and assisting in patent litigation in Europe (Astellas Group cases). You will contribute to the realisation of an effective patent portfolio to safeguard rights for inventions made in or for Astellas and to protect Astellas products by an appropriate patent portfolio. International travel on a regular basis will be applicable.
Your personal qualifications:
• University degree in life sciences and preferably a PhD
• R&D background preferably in pharmaceutical industry
• European Patent Attorney
• At least 3 years post-qualification experience as an in-house patent attorney or a patent attorney in private practice, exposed to the full range of activities
• Keen on new developments in case law, R&D, Astellas’ intended product launches and disclosures of technical information in the public domain, changes in third parties’ patent position, time limits
• Accurate and able to set the right priorities
• Drafting skills and searching skills
• Analytical mind
• Good English language skills
• A challenging and diversified job
• Good career opportunities
• Inspiring work climate
• Attractive remuneration.
Astellas is an international pharmaceutical company employing over 16,000 people worldwide and with combined global sales of over 7 billion euro. The company’s European headquarters are based in London, with affiliates throughout Europe working in production, sales & marketing, and research & development. With almost 4,000 employees, Europe is an important and growing Astellas region, having key strengths in the therapy areas of Urology, Dermatology, Transplantation, Anti Infectives, Pain Management and Oncology.
The Mirai House, located in Leiden Bio Science Park (the Netherlands) is home to the European R&D organization focusing on the development of medicines in the areas of Pain, Urology and Diabetes/Metabolic diseases.
An R&D investment budget of 15-20% is evidence of the company’s commitment to improving the health of people worldwide through the provision of innovative and reliable products. The Mirai House is also hosting Astellas Pharma Netherlands (the Dutch affiliate) and Astellas Pharma International. Astellas Pharma International is present in the Near & Middle East, Africa and some other selected countries.
In the Netherlands around 850 professionals are active at 2 sites, based in Leiden and Meppel.
Our European patent groupis based in the Netherlands and forms part of our European HQ Legal Affairs organization in the United Kingdom. This particular vacancy is based in the Netherlands in Mirai House.
Leiden point of contact: Cherr van Dormolen (+31 (0)715455751)
More info: http://careers.astellas.eu/netherlands/nl/overview/vacancy/0/x17230/